Saturday 19 January 2008

One BIG ark

One of the reasons being a Pagan, being a Witch, works for me is because of science. For me, science is a way to continue to get to know the Goddess better. (I'm taking organic chemistry right now. I might need to be reminded of that statement when the going is really hard!) Science is all about how nature and the universe work. What could be cooler than that?

So, about Noah's Ark:

There does seem to be scientific evidence of a great flood.

Whether or not there was a man named Noah, or an ark, I do not know, and as far as I know, there's not scientific evidence one way or another.

That doesn't much bother me. If Noah and his ark existed, that's very cool; if not, it's still a neat story from which there's a lot to learn (faith, perseverance, resisting peer pressure, faithfulness, more).

So I don't believe or disbelieve that someone named Noah and his family had, say, giraffes and doves and elephants on a big boat during the flood.

However, I do not for one moment believe Noah, if he existed, had dinosaurs on his ark.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

The mastadon skull that's 40,000 years old... hmmm...

As for whether there really was a Noah with an ark, I like this saying, which I first heard from Tony Prete and have since heard many other places:

Everything in the bible is true, and some of it even happened.

Morgan said...

I love Tony, and I can truly appreciate his approach to bible study. Thank you for this lovely quote!